Your rental move-in checklist

So, you’ve attended open homes, navigated the application process and now have the keys to your new rental in hand.

Congratulations, it’s the start of a new chapter! But as you move in there are a few things to check off your to-do list and keep in mind to ensure your rental at the new property goes smoothly.

Here’s a quick rental move-in checklist to ensure you have all your bases covered.

The entry condition report

When your property manager hands you the keys they will also issue you with an entry condition report and this document is important.

As the name suggests, the entry condition report sets out the condition of the property when you move in, including any existing damage.

It’s critical that you go through the property checking off what’s listed and adding anything that might have been missed.

You then need to sign this document within two weeks and return it to your property manager. 

Later, when you exit the property, this document will be referred to in a bid to ensure you leave the residence in exactly the same condition as you found it.

A little property protection

As you move your furniture in, consider whether it’s likely to damage the property in any way. If so, take precautions to eliminate this likelihood.

For example, if the home has wooden floors, you might need to consider placing felt pads on the feet of your chairs to reduce the chances of scratching the wood.

Or, if you’re placing pot plants on an outside wooden deck, ensure you have pot plant trays beneath them so water doesn’t pool under the plant and cause wood rot.

Small precautionary measures at the outset of your rental agreement can go a long way to reducing the likelihood of damaging the property throughout your residency.


In the majority of fixed term rental agreements, the renter is responsible for organising and paying for utilities, such as electricity, internet, and gas.

When you move in, you’ll need to contact your preferred supplier, set a connection date and provide details for billing.


There’s sometimes a misconception that the property owner’s insurance covers the personal effects of the renter. But that’s not the case.

While the owner’s insurance covers the building and public liability, the renter should take out their own contents insurance to cover their personal items.

This protects your possessions in the instance something goes wrong, such as a break-in, fire, or weather event which damages your personal items.

Teething problems

A new property can take a little time to get used to as you figure out things like garbage day, which key opens what door, and what lightswitch turns on which lights.

That’s all part of the settling in process. But along the way there can also be occasional teething problems which you might need to notify the property manager about.

Perhaps the television aerial doesn’t work or maybe there’s a tap which leaks which the property manager wasn’t aware of.

If you find something that needs fixing or have questions about the property, reach out to your property manager for assistance.

How we can help

Our experienced property managers pride themselves on establishing great relationships with both rental occupiers and owners.

We manage every property as if it were our own and you can learn more about our property management services here.

Alternatively, if you are looking to rent a property, you can view the properties we currently have available here.